Monday, April 8, 2019

"That's For Babies" - a bookwrap







Meet Prunella.  It's her 3rd birthday. When she wakes up she exclaimes, "I'm a big girl now."  Things are going to change... but how? 



Unwrapping  





That's for Babies
by Jackie Azúa Kramer
illustrated by Lisa Brandenburg


* Age Range:  5+
* Grade Level:  1-2
* Paperback:  32 pages
* Publisher:  Clavis
* Pub. Date:  June 25, 2019
* Language:  English





From the author



"I had chosen a lovely dress for my daughter Daisy's preschool graduation," says author Jackie Azua Kramer. "That morning she took one glance at the sparkly frock and said, 'That's for babies!' From that moment on, those words became her mantra. All the Daisy loved and treasured before, including her favorite doll, was dropped in a box of cast-off toys. I loved writing this story that says it's okay for big girls (or boys!) to play and imagine, explore and be vulnerable.”






Unwrapping some illustrations for you



























Unwrapping the story





Prunella, Pru for short, wakes up the morning of her third birthday and declares to the world ... "I'm a BIG kid now." 

She looks at her favourite doll, Talking Sally and says,  "That's for babies! and packs her away in a box of old toys.  Her mantra for the day becomes, "That's for babies!' as she declines heart shaped pancakes for breakfast, singing the A-B-C song with her father, and says no to her favourite animal cookies because they are too cutesy, just to name a few.   

When she has completed her day and is in her room alone that night, a loud thunder storm rumbles overhead.  It's then that she realizes maybe it's not so great having grown up aspirations.  Maybe she needs more time to enjoy the things she loves and besides, she is still small enough to tuck herself in between mother and father in their bed and feel safe and secure until that wretched old storm passes over.  And that's exactly what she did.  Maybe she should leave growing up for another day.  

The adorable illustrations starring an impish little girl are very relatable to kids and will have then smiling as the story is shared.  That's for Babies reminds us that growing up doesn't mean you have to abandon all the fantasy, playfulness and imagination that childhood offers.  I like the book and recommend it.  



Storywraps Rating -  5 HUGS!!!!!










Meet the author







Jackie Azúa Kramer worked as an actor, singer, and school counselor. Now she spends her time writing children's picture books. Her picture books include, the award-winning, The Green Umbrella, If You Want to Fall Asleep and That's for Babies. 

When not writing, you'll find Jackie reading, watching old movies and globe trekking. Jackie lives with her family in Long Island, NY. Visit her online at jackieazuakramer.com







About the illustrator





My name is Lisa Brandenburg (Dordrecht, 1978). I am an illustrator, living and working in Amstelveen in the Netherlands. I am married and the proud mother of a son and a daughter.


I received my education at the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam. I have wide experience with various disciplines and am competent with many different techniques and styles.

My clients and target groups are very varied. I have wide artistic interests, am curious about what happens around us in society, and I enjoy challenge and change: it keeps me and my work sharp and focused.
Since 2012 I’ve been illustrating Guy Daniëls’ stories about the self-willed Little Witch Ella and her friends. The books have been translated into various languages.
My work is characterized by specific use of color and composition, humor and a touch of melancholy.
http://www.lisabrandenburg.nl/










Follow Storywraps










*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  

I also have added a new button... "Ko-Fi".  You can buy me a coffee if you like my review and feel more like hanging out together.  It's new, fun, and yes my dear friends, coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod.  There's always something brewing here on my blog. 

 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together. 


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
💜💜💜

No comments: