Friday, April 26, 2019

Who Stole the Hazelnuts? - a bookwrap








Unwrapping






Who Stole the Hazelnuts? 

Authored and Illustrated by Marcus Pfister


* Age Range:  4-8
* Grade Level:  PS-2
* Hardcover:  32 pages
* Publisher:  NorthSouth Books
* Pub. Date:  September 3, 2019
* Language:  English



Unwrapping some fabulous illustrations for you
















Unwrapping the story





This is a brand new rhyming book from the author of the very popular "Rainbow Fish" series.  The silence in the calm, quiet forest is interrupted by a scream from squirrel.  His three hazelnuts have been stolen and he is determined to find the culprit who is responsible for such a dastardly deed. 

He visits each of his forests friends:  mole, mouse, hamster, even fox and interrogates them to try to solve this heinous crime.  Each animal pleads innocent .... but are they?  Squirrel still has his suspicions.  

Downhearted and hungry squirrel returns to his tree.  Then a miracle happens.  Can you guess what it might be? 

This book provides a great life lesson.  Do not accuse anyone of a crime unless you have solid evidence to convict them.  Everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty.  The watercolour illustrations are very well done and express lots of emotions and detail.  

I wish the author had expanded on squirrel's apology and for me the ending was a little to abrupt.  Squirrel is supposed to have had only three hazelnuts but an illustration is shown towards the end of the book with him having an armload full.  I wish after him saying sorry to his friends for his unfounded accusations that he would have taken that abundance of nuts and shared them with his friends to seal his acknowledgement of his overreactive behaviour.  I certainly think after the harsh allegations a forgive-me-party would have been a lovely way to wrap up the story.   





Storywraps Rating - 4 HUGS!!!!!









 Meet the author/illustrator









Marcus Pfister was born in Bern, Switzerland. After studying at the Art School of Bern, he apprenticed as a graphic designer and worked in an advertising agency before becoming self-employed in 1984. His debut picture book, The Sleepy Owl, was published by NorthSouth in 1986, but his big breakthrough came six years later with The Rainbow Fish. Today, Marcus has illustrated over fifty books that have been translated into more than fifty languages and received countless international awards. He lives with his wife, Debora, and his children in Bern. Meet Marcus Pfister at www.marcuspfister.ch. 




Follow Storywraps









*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  

I also have added a new button... ko-fi.com You can buy me a coffee if you like my review and feel more like hanging out together.  It's new, fun, and yes my dear friends, coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod.  There's always something brewing here on my blog. 

 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together. 


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
💜💜💜



No comments: