Monday, June 22, 2020

"My Name is Sammy, and I'm No Snitch" - a bookwrap





What's a snitch?   A snitch is a person who secretly tells someone in authority ( policeman, teacher, supervisor etc. ) about something wrong that someone has done.  











Unwrapping 







"My Name is Sammy, and I'm No Snitch"

Authored by Jeff Tucker
Illustrated by Miranda Morrissey


* Ages:  5-8
* Grade Level:  K-3
* Paperback:  31 pages
Publisher:  Boys Town Press
* Pub. Date:  Sept. 8, 2020
* Language: English



Unwrapping Some Wonderful Illustrations 




















The Book




Sammy, an observant student in his classroom, sees lots of shady things happening.  He prides himself with not being a snitch, no, he will not tattle and the class knows it.  He turns a blind eye to things that he knows are blatantly wrong. 

Then one day on the bus he witnesses his best friend Carlos being bullied by the meanest kid on planet, William. Things get more and more tense as William keeps on taunting and being aggressive towards his best friend.   The intimidator calls Carlos names, physically hassles him and finally challenges him to a smackdown after school.  Oh my!  Poor Carlos he did nothing to deserve this of treatment!  What should Sammy do?  He loves his friend and sees the unjust ( and dangerous ) predicament that he is in.  Should Sammy break his rule and snitch for the well-being and saftey of his good friend? 

This story carries a very important and relevant message for today's kids.  It teaches them the difference between snitching and reporting and when to talk to an adult.  Kids need to know that bullying is wrong and needs to be reported to the appropriate authorities.  The author explains the different kinds of bullying and gives assurance that the reporter in doing the right thing will not be revealed so the reporter can feel safe in doing so and not worry about retribution from the bully.  

The author has wisely included a segment of "Tips for Parents and Educators" regarding this theme.  He lays out how to:  help your children identify trusted adults, discuss the differences between "snitching" and "reporting" with your child, take what your child reports seriously, remember why your child may not report, discuss bullying openly and directly with your child and ensure your child privacy when possible.  

The illustrations are strong, expressive and add so richness to the overall message.  This would be an excellent resource for a classroom and elementary school library.  I highly recommend this book.



Storywraps Rating -  5 +++ HUGS! 










Meet the Author 






Jeff Tucker is a Licensed Professional Counselor with experience providing mental health services to students of all ages.  Jeff is passionate about education, promoting mental health in children, and social justice issues.  He is an avid reader and writer and believes in the power of books to help children thrive.  Jeff lives in Louisiana with his spouse and their spoiled dog, Dixie.  "My Name's Sammy, and I'm No Snitch"  is Jeffs debut picture book, with more Chicoreée Elementary Stories for Success to follow! 





About the Illustrator





 In 2012, I completed my B.F.A. to sharpen my skills in traditional media. Currently, I am nearly finished with a B.S. in graphic design as well. About five years ago, I began to draw and paint digitally using Photoshop and a Wacom tablet. I enjoy creating illustrations digitally because I find that I have more freedom to experiment and edit and consequently deliver more creative and polished pieces, in comparison to working with the restrictions and permanence of traditional media. Because I use a Wacom tablet that allows me to draw and paint freestyle, my illustrations exude the authenticity and originality of traditional media.I have done the illustrations for three children's books that have been published through a self-publishing company, as well as having finished illustrations for my own forty page picture book. I most enjoy creating for stories of a fantastical nature. Although I have only done children's books so far, I would love the opportunity to create illustrations for the middle grade audience as well.

Follow Storywraps






*Blog Link:  www.babybookworms.blogspot.ca
*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
*Pinterest: Storywraps

I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  
I also have added a new button... ko-fi.com/storywraps  Simply buy me a cup of coffee if you would rather.  That would be fun.  Coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod as I'm always brewing up something here on Storywraps. 
 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps' community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together.   

 

Read on.....Read always!
It's a wrap! 


No comments: