Thursday, June 26, 2014

Bobbs and the Little Boy - a book review


Quotes of the day:  "When a child loves you for a long, long time not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become real."

"Once you are real, you can't become unreal again.  It lasts forever."
                                  -Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit

Today's featured book:




Title:  Bobbs and the Little Boy
Author:  Diane Page
Illustrator: Bruce Bigelow
Ages:  2-7

Let's take a peek inside shall we?






My take on the book through the eyes of Bobbs:

Hi, my name is Bobbs and I am the happiest, little furry creature alive!  Yes, I am alive, although to the rest of the world I am just a stuffed little guy who my boy totes around everywhere because he loves me so much.  

It wasn't always like that you see.  I was in a souvenir shop for a long, long time on a top shelf where day after day tourists came in and bought everything around me.....but sadly not me!  Then one day my little boy came in after his camping vacation with his family, pointed at me, begged for me and finally got his mommy to buy me and take me home.  I now had a home and someone to love me forever!  I was so happy and just kept on smiling.

The little boy lovingly made me a bed out of an abandoned shoe box, complete with a soft kitchen towel and a cotton ball pillow....but in the night I wanted nothing more than to escape from that lonely box and jump into my little boy's bed and snuggle up close to him while he slept.  So I did. He couldn't figure out how I got there and the next night he stayed awake to see the magic happen.  I climbed in beside him as close as I could get and started to talk to him....yes, I could talk and share with him too.  

We became best friends and I asked lots of questions about things I couldn't understand.  He took me everywhere he went ... to his daycare, his park and even his synagogue. It was in those places that  I found out that little humans have a lot of fears....fears of clowns, of big dogs, and of loud thunderstorms that boom and flash in the cloudy sky.  My little boy secretly confided in me that he was afraid of make believe characters that danced around him at night scaring him while he lay in his bed in the dark.  He told me that since I had come to be his best buddy he hadn't felt afraid anymore and that made my heart very glad indeed. I made him feel safe and gave him my best company.

Sadly my little boy grew up and moved away and I was put again on a high shelf in his closet.  He was very busy with his life and met a girl and asked for her hand in marriage.  Then one day I felt loving hands around me once again and I was packed in a suitcase and whisked off to where?  I couldn't see all around me because inside the suitcase it was dark....and claustrophobic and lonely.  Were they going to give me away to a stranger?  Was I headed to a throw away bin? What would my destiny be?  I was scared and helpless and had to trust that I was still loved and valued and all would turn out well.  I couldn't believe what happened next.... I won't tell you here....you have to read the book to find out what occurred that put the biggest smile on my face and made me the happiest bear alive ..... ever!  I hope you get the book because I am sure you will really love it.


An interview with Diane:



Interview questions for Diane Page


Rapid fire questions: 

  1. What is your dream car?  Your dream vacation? Dream car?  One that requires NO maintenance ever!  Dream vacation? Belize


2.    Do you prefer a sit down meal or a picnic? A sit down meal


 3.  Do you like to give or receive a gift? To give


  4.  Are you left-handed or right handed?  (Sorry I was a teacher and like that question) right-handed most of the time


  5.  What is your all-time, most favorite drink? Coffee (black)


  6.  What is the thing you like least to do? Wash lettuce


  7.  What is the most important thing to you right now at this stage of your life? Taking care of myself – I try to exercise and eat healthy foods. 


Serious stuff:

  1. What was your favorite book to read as a child? Little Black Sambo – the original – by Helen Bannerman  


2.    Were you a budding novelistin primary school or discovered this talent later on in life? As an only child, I lived in my own make-believe world.  Writing stories entertained me for hours.


3.     How did you choose the title of the books? The titles of my books are all based on personal experiences.  The Bobbs series – my son’s Bobbs when he was a little boy – Roy is my grandson, Zach – Agnes is a compilation of my four granddaughters.


4...    Do you have a favorite place that you go to write and create? Upstairs – bedroom/office


5.     Who is your most favorite childrens author? My favorite author, though not necessarily a children’s author, is Harold Bell Wright.  I vividly remember reading The Shepherd of the Hills over and over again while swinging in the front porch swing at my grandmother’s and grandfather’s house.


6.     Do you have another book in the works that is bubbling around inside your brain trying to get out? Yes, but that’s a secret. ;)


7.  What is one thing that you can share with your readers that might surprise us if we knew? I cheated on a Spanish II test in high school – got caught – and was punished severely by my parents.  


Other books by this author are:

 * Bobbs and the Little Boy Meet Agnes
 * Roy and Roo Take a Trip to the Zoo
 * Mr. Zidderdeedee


About the illustrator:


Bruce Bigelow has been an artist for most of his life.

In addition to illustrating all four of Diane Page's books for children, he provided art for "Cat Hymns" by Steve and Patty Thompson and a book of his own, "The Passing Scene," where he combined pictures of some of his paintings with poetry.

Bigelow earned a bachelor of fine arts degree from Kansas University. He served in the U.S. Air Force for four years. He lives with his wife just outside Tupelo, Miss.




Book Review Rating:  8 (Fantastic!)

Read on and read always!  Have a wonderful day everyone! 

No comments: