Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Javascript for Kids - a bookwrap





Unwrapping some quotes for you...

"First solve the problem. Then, write the code."  -John Jackson

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."   -Steve McConnell

"Computers are good at following instructions, but not reading your mind."  -Donald Knuth



Unwrapping...





Authored by Nick Morgan

Ages 10+ (plus their parents)


Unwrapping some content...








JavaScript is the programming language of the internet.  This fantastic book presents a lighthearted approach to the subject (which many people, including me, know very little about) and teaches programming basics through patient, step-by-step examples highlighted by fun illustrations.  It starts with the basics, like working strings and loops and works its way to more complex topics like building interactivity with jQuery (which I had never even heard of before, but do now) and drawing graphics with Canvas. 

You will discover how to write games like "Find Buried Treasure", "Hangman", and "Snake."  Can you imagine writing your own game?  How fun would that be?

You will learn how to:

* Create functions to organize and reuse your code
*Write and modify HTML to create dynamic web pages
*Use the DOM and jQuery to make web pages react to user input (because the computer does not have a brain of its own and can only respond to a human's instructions)
*Use the Canvas element to draw and animate graphics (which is perfect for me because I always wanted to be Walt Disney's daughter but now can be Walt Disney himself)
*Programme real user-controlled games with collision detection and score keeping

Fun visual examples like bouncing balls, buzzing bees, and racing cars allow you to see what you are programming. Each chapter is cumulative and builds on the next.  There is plenty in this exciting book to learn and experiment with.  JavaScript for Kids is both educational and awe-inspiring.  Go ahead.  Play with the JavaScript, spirit of the Internet, ... Creativity and fun is calling you! 



Unwrapping Nick Morgan...




My name’s Nick Morgan, but online I’m generally known as Skilldrick.
I live in San Francisco with my fiancΓ©e and dog and work at Twitter, currently as tech lead for the web home timeline. I’m originally from Stroud, in the UK.
I’m a big fan of JavaScript and Scala. In the past I’ve enjoyed writing Scheme, Python, and Ruby. I’ve written PHP, but I didn’t inhale. I’d like to learn Haskell, Clojure, and Go.


Read on and read always!

It's a wrap.


contact me at:  storywrapblog@gmail.com

No comments: