Monday, May 18, 2015

Celia and Cedric Eat Dirt Balls! - a bookwrap









Unwrapping...








Authored by Erin Kurt and Laara Exsnar



Illustrated by Joanna Robinson



Ages 3-8





Unwrapping the illustrations to take a peek...









     Celia and Cedric are two best friends who on a rainy Saturday morning decide to test out Celia's great idea of meeting in her garden to create mud treats for their Snack Shop.  Celia is quick to offer up her play Snack set with cups, plates, spoons and forks to design these tasty treats. 

     They head out and together they find the perfect muddy spot to turn into their culinary kitchen and start experimenting with their muddy ingredients. At first things did not go well and their pancake were breaking into pieces and their cupcakes too. But then ... ta da!!!....

"Suddenly, at the same time, Celia and Cedric shouted, "I made a dirt ball and it's sticking together!"
'Yay!' they shouted."  

     The kids have found the perfect signature delicacy for their shop.  After a bit of tweaking and decorating off the two go to show Celia's mom.  Mom sees how pleased the kids are with their creation and offers a perfectly splendid idea to make those muddy dirt balls into ones that you can actually eat.  

"Well, I have an idea," smiled Celia's mom. "I have a recipe for dirt balls you CAN eat!'
"What ? Really? they exclaimed.
Celia and Cedic couldn't believe it.
Then Celia's mother said, 'If you help me gather the ingredients, I'll show you how to make them. Then you can have real Snack Shop treats'."

     Everyone pitches in and the Edible Dirt Balls become a reality...food fit for a king (a healthy king!)  Celia's big brother Jake  does a sampling and finds them truly delicious and Dad stops by giving their efforts a two thumbs up.  Happily the two plan for an even greater adventure for tomorrow.

     This book is fun, educational and the illustrations are colourful, expressive and very, very kid-friendly.  The book explores themes of friendship, co-operation, strong family bonding, creativity and nutritional value.  I highly recommend it and here are two other books that are in the series for you to check out.










Interview with the authors...







Rapid fire questions:

If you could meet up and have dinner with anyone on earth who would it be?

Erin - Oprah Winfrey because I’d love to share with her how she and The Oprah Winfrey Show influenced my life.  

Laara - Goldie Hawn because we have the same ideas for what kids need in the world.  She started the Mind Up Program in Vancouver which I think is just incredible. I’ve been a fan for years! Since her first TV debut in the TV Show Laugh In.  I also love how she has the courage to be her authentic self.

Do you prefer to give a gift or to receive one?

Erin - I like both, but I have to say that I get a SUPER amount of joy from watching my children open any gifts I give to them.  

Laara - I like both!  However, I do love to give. Its one of my favourite things to do.  I find it so much fun to go looking for a gift then seeing the receiver’s mouth open. We have many photos of Erin with her mouth wide open; all the way back to age 12.

Do you prefer a sit down meal or a picnic?

Erin - Ooh, I do love a picnic.  Actually picnics make me really happy since it takes me back to my childhood.  Our family tradition was to make a “no-bake picnic cake” each time we went out to a lovely field or park.  However... I am definitely like mom in that I love fine dining.  Food is something I adore!  Put me in a gorgeous restaurant too and I am literally in heaven.

Laara - It depends.  I really like a meal where it’s grand and there are chandeliers everywhere. I love eating great food with the people I love.

Are you left-handed or right-handed?

Erin - right-handed

Laara - right - handed


What is your favourite drink?  (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)  Food?

Erin - My favourite drink is my own homemade lemonade as well as a beautiful glass of Prosecco.  My favourite food?  I am a connessieur of food so I love Indian food, Italian food, Turkish food, French food..I’ll be here all day!  I have to say though, that the food I crave once a week is Spicy Tuna Sushi.  

Laara - My favourite drink is fruit and vegetable smoothies and my favourite food is healthy ice cream, if that counts!


Serious stuff:


What was your favourite book as a child?

Erin - I really liked  the Little House on the Prairie books.

Laara - For me it was, “Five Little Women”.

 What person influenced you most in your lifetime?

Erin - My mom and Oprah Winfrey.

Laara - My mom.

What motivated you to become an author?

Erin - I found that when I was a teacher I absolutely fell in love with books.  I used them to enhance everything I taught.  I also saw that there was a need for a special type of book that would teach children positive character traits without being preachy.  Basically stories that by osmosis, inspired children to be inquisitive, self-confident, risk-takers, empathetic. etc. I think it was a few years into my teaching career that I claimed my desire to write these kind of children’s books.

Laara - I have wanted to be a children’s author since grade 2.  I can still see myself drawing my first book then poking holes through the pages and tying them with string.

What is the best/worst thing about being a writer?

Erin - The best part is definitely being able to express myself creatively and then see kids enjoying the books exactly as I had intended. 

Laara - The best is the creativity. When the stories just flow out of your head and into your hand. It’s a beautiful experience.

What do you like to do to relax?

Erin - Well, I have to say that reading and baking are two of the top ways I relax.  I put on some Parisian Jazz and just lose myself.  Baths and meditating are right up there too.

Laara - I like to read and meditate. You just have to see my office and you’ll understand my love of reading! Wall to wall books.

Where do you like to write and create?

Erin - I write on my laptop, so I take my laptop to either the sofa or up to my bed.

Laara - In my office with my Himalayan salt lamp glowing beside me.

What adult authors do you love to read that you can pass onto us?

Erin - I read such a variety of genres so that’s a bit difficult.  I really enjoy Jennifer L. Scott, Eckhart Tolle, Emily Fisk Giffin and any author that sets the story in Paris or France.

Laara - I love to read romance novels so authors like Maueve Binchey and Nora Roberts do a good job at those.  For non-fiction books, Suzanne Somers.


Do you have any new books that we can look forward to coming out in the near future?

Erin & Laara - Loads! There will be many more Celia and Cedric books coming out in the near future.  We are talking about releasing the next one at the end of this year, so stay tuned!





For more information check out:
http://www.celiaandcedric.com



Read on and read always!

It's a wrap.

Contact me at storywrapsblog@gmail.com





No comments: