Friday, April 6, 2018

"When Fur and Feather Get Together" - a bookwrap












Unwrapping





"When Fur and Feather Get Together "


by David R. Margrave (Author)
Kim Wyly (Illustrator)


Age Range: 3 - 7 years      Grade Level:Preschool - 2
Publisher: Clovercroft  Publishing



Some whimsical illustrations to enjoy































About the book





This heartwarming book is not only educational but gives kids (and adults) a wonderful sense of self-respect, self-worth and deep appreciation of belonging. 

A dad and his small son sit on top of a hill and talk together about a variety of animals.  

"And we talked about animals from fur to feather,
and what they're called when they get together." 

They discuss the names of different animal groups, none ever the same.  The book is written in rhyme something that kids always enjoy listening to or reading on their own.   They discover that fish with their friends are called a school, lions in a group are a pride, a cluster of whales is a pod, rhinos are a crash, a gathering of geese is a gaggle, a group of sheep is a flock, The next one I did not know myself but it was so fun to find out. Did you know that an assembly of owls is called a parliament?  Who knew?  Lastly, unicorns spotted together are called a blessing.  

The ending of the book is the best of all because the little boy snuggles into his dad, crawls upon his lap and hugs him tight declaring:

"I said, "Of all the groups we could be,
  my favourite one is our family." 

The happy whimsical illustrations enrich the text and the crescendo is when the boy informs us that the best gathering of all is his own beloved family unit.  I love the book's message and highly recommend it. 



Storywraps Rating -  5 HUGS!!!!!





Introducing the author




David Margrave grew up in Texas reading, writing stories and poems, and doodling in his sketchbook. He went on to Stanford University and University of Texas Law School, and has spent his career working at a major law firm and as part of the management team of a biotech company working to develop innovative cancer treatments. Memories of reading picture books to his own two children inspired the book you are reading now.









About the illustrator



Kim Wyly is a graduate of the University of Texas at Dallas and has studied bronze sculpture and painting at SMU. She is represented by Elliott Yeary Gallery in Aspen. Kim contributes 20% of her proceeds from art sales to charity and is active in community service. She is married and has lived in Dallas since 1992.

Artist's Statement:


I enjoy many different mediums of art, including photography, bronze sculpture, and oil painting.  I often use symbolism to reflect my feelings and dreams and to transfer my subconscious mind to the canvas. Sometimes I use art as a form of journaling. Each painting is an exercise in working through emotions or experiences. Art, my family, and my faith in God have helped me through some of the most difficult times in my life. Art parallels life, in that it is a journey, and I am learning through the process. Art has taught me to live in the moment.




Follow Storywraps






*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  I thank you in advance for your support.  I love what I do and appreciate any amount that you may give so I can make our community even better.  Thanks a million! 






Read on!
Read always!



No comments: