Monday, February 25, 2019

"My Footprints" - a bookwrap










Unwrapping







" My Footprints" 
authored by Bao Phi
illustrated by Basia Tran


* Age Range:  5-9 
* Grade Level:  2-3
* Publisher:  Capstone Editions
* Library Binding:  32 pages
* Pub. Date:  Sept. 1, 2019
* Language:  English



Unwrapping some great illustrations for you to enjoy





























Unwrapping the story

This is an inspiring and timely story on tolerance, bullying and an alternative family lifestyle.  




Thuy is a young Vietnamese American girl and she is taunted and bullied at school by her peers because of her ethnicity and the fact that in her family she has two moms.  She is overcome by her emotions of feeling helpless and the injustice of the meanness that is directed towards her.  

On her way home this sweet creative little girl sets her imagination free after an encounter with a beautiful red cardinal.  She emulates the lovely bird's footprints in the white snow and its call:

"Thuy points her feet in a V shape and hops once, lightly, leaving shallow prints."  "Chirp chirp chirp!" Thuy squeaks and flaps her arms."


 As her journey homeward progresses so does her diverse footprints. She imprints a variety of different animal tracks transferring her frustration and anger into creativity, quietness, and peace.  

Finally Thuy arrives home and is greeted by her two moms who are out shovelling snow in their front yard.  After talking with their daughter and finding out  that she feels different than her peers and ostracized by them, the two moms immediately offer Thuy comfort, strength and understanding.  Their wise advice and unconditional love offer a beautiful safety net for Thuy and shows her that she has strong family support and is loved deeply by them both.  I love the book and recommend it.   




Storywraps Rating - 5 ++ HUGS!!!!!








Meet the author









Bao Phi was born in Vietnam and raised in the Phillips neighborhood of South Minneapolis. His debut picture book for Capstone was the award-winning A Different Pond. It received starred reviews from numerous publications including Booklist, Publishers Weekly, School Library Journal, and Kirkus. Bao is an author, a poet, a community organizer, and a father.





About the Illustrator






My name is Ngoc Diep Barbara Tran, but I go by my Polish short Basia. I'm a Polish-Vietnamese children's book and lifestyle illustrator currently based in my beautiful hometown, KrakΓ³w, Poland.








Follow Storywraps









*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  

I also have added a new button... "Ko-Fi".  You can buy me a coffee if you like my review and feel more like hanging out together.  It's new, fun, and yes my dear friends, coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod.  There's always something brewing here on my blog. 

 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together. 


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ



No comments: