Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Red Yellow Blue - a bookwrap












Red Yellow Blue is part of the book series published by the American Psychological Association. These titles are designed to both entertain and teach children about their worlds. Each has a helpful section for adults at the end of the book.



Unwrapping 






Red Yellow Blue 

By Lysa Mullady
Illustrated by Laurent Simon


* Ages:  4-8
* Grade Level:  PS+
* Hardcover:  32 pages
Publisher:  Maintain Press; 1 edition
* Pub. Date:  August 6, 2019
* Language:  English



Editorial Reviews


“Fans of Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld's Friendshape (2015) or Michael Hall's Perfect Square (2011) may find this title complementary…comes with a potentially useful note to adults on how to use the book to promote self-esteem and forgiveness. Color science and emotional literacy…” —Kirkus Reviews

“Going beyond the relationship between red, yellow, and blue as colors, there is an equally significant exploration of the relationship between Red, Yellow, and Blue as sensitive, feeling characters. As the story progresses, Red experiences a wide spectrum of feelings, including worry, frustration, annoyance, and later a sense of belonging and pride. The deeper layers to the story will encourage emotional exploration and prompt discussion with older children… Perfect for social and emotional learning, this picture book cleverly melds life lessons with an introduction to the primary colors.” —School Library Journal

“This book helps children navigate the balance between knowing what is their business and how they can cooperate with others. Great for a friendship and art lesson combined.” —Oregon Coast Youth Book Preview Center
Book Description
Red loves being red! Apples, wagons, fire trucks — he thinks all the best things are red! Yellow admires Red’s roses, but Red just wants to be left to mind his own business — why can’t Yellow mind hers? Red has to learn that the best things come when all the colors work together.





Unwrapping Some Illustrations for You to Enjoy




















Unwrapping the Story




Red is very busy absorbed with red things in his red-focused world.  He is responsible for red apples,  red wagons,  red firetrucks etc. He is very protective and possessive of all things of that colour.  

Yellow, with similar responsibilities with her colour, stops by and wonders if perhaps she and Red could fuse together and make a new colour... orange would be great fun to construct.  If they blend their colours together they can make pumpkins, newts, and carrots.  Yellow tells him, 

"It's all the colours together the make the world a remarkable place to be?"

Red lashes out at Yellow ( out of frustration ) because he has more than enough on his plate just being, and creating red things.  He is very rude to her and says some mean things,  

"So what if we make orange together? he said.  "Can't you just leave me be?"  I want to think about red and only red.  That's my business.   I'll take care of my business and you take care of yours."  Oh my, that's not nice! 

Poor Yellow.  She is just reaching out to him and trying to be his friend.  She sighs and off she goes to visit Blue.  Happily they share their colours and make green frogs, shamrocks and caterpillars, and they stay far away from grumpy, crochety old Red. 

Red stays all alone muttering to himself about all things red.  Yellow and Blue continue to create and love being and working together.  After thinking about Yellow's proposition to him and the possibilities of the wonderful things that they could create together Red begins to feel guilty, ashamed of himself, very sad, and very alone.  

With the help of a sweet kind little ladybug Red realizes that what he said toYellow was unacceptable and that he needs to make amends and go and say he is sorry to her.  Will she accept his apology and forgive him for his rudeness?  Will he be invited to work with Yellow and Blue and perhaps make something that is beautiful all working together? 

This is a wonderful book about teamwork, acceptance, kindness, forgiveness, self-esteem and emotions.  At the end of the book the author includes helpful information to adults on how to use the book effectively.  It sparks lots of opportunity for discussion.  I think it is an important book and I highly recommend it.  




Storywraps Rating - 5 +++ HUGS!!!!!







Meet the Author. 








I was born and raised on Long Island and currently live in Smithtown with my family.  I continue to work in Copiague, as an elementary school counsleor.  I am activity involved in New York and Long Island counselor associations and enjoy presenting at conferences.

I have been writing since I was a child.  As a counselor, I write to reach my students.  It is a dream come true to be working with Magination Press to share my books with all of you.


I strongly believe we are all on a journey to become the best we can be.  My heart is touched by the struggles of those I am priviledged to work with.  In times of worry, my mind searches to create a way to help.  Through these thoughts, stories are born.






Follow Storywraps







*Instagram: Storywraps
Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
*Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  

I also have added a new button...  ko-fi.com.  Simply buy me a cup of coffee if you would rather.  That would be fun.  Coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod as I'm always brewing up something here on Storywraps. 

 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps' community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together.   


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 

💜💜💜


No comments: