Friday, April 10, 2020

"I Do Not Like Stories" - a bookwrap










Unwrapping 




"I Do Not Like Stories" 

Authored by Andrew Larsen
Illustrated by Carey Sookocheff


* Ages:  3-7
* Grade Level:  1-2
* Hardcover:  32 pages
* Publisher:  Owlkids
* Pub. Date:  September 15, 2020
* Language:  English



Unwrapping Some Illustrations for You




















The Book


The little boy narrator makes it very clear from the get-go that he does NOT like stories.  As he goes about his day he accentuates that fact.  

It starts first thing in the morning.  He hates waking up, people in space, fish in the sea , planes and trains, boring old buildings, numbers, apples or pears, peaches or plums and missing the one you love, just to name a few off his list of dissensions.  His day is riddled with complaints, whines and gloom.  

The author contrasts how the boy's cat spends its day.  He parallels the cat's adventures through graphic pictures that are full of activity and humour.  His cat spreads mischief and chaos around the city and returns back home just as his owner is exiting his school bus and returning home from school too.  

When the day is finally wrapped up the boy concedes that a story he might like is about his cat that he loves very much. 

 The over all colour pallet is various tones of grey and quite subdued.  The illustrator then adds limited splashes of yellow, blue and orange which makes the colours pop.  The illustrations are strong enough to stand on their own without the text but when married together they make a very rich story.  Kids who love cats and a dual storyline will love this book.  I highly recommend it.  




Storywraps Rating -  5 +++ HUGS! 




Meet the Author








I was born in Montreal. I am the youngest of three boys. Luckily, I have a younger sister. That makes me a middle child.

I lived in Montreal until I was twelve. It was a great place to be a kid. When we weren’t at school, we played outside. We had the run of the neighbourhood.

I used to spend a part of every summer with my grandparents at their cottage The cottage was on a hill, by a lake. You couldn’t drive there. You had to take a boat. When you got off the boat you had to climb sixty-five steps up the hill to our cottage.

The cottage didn’t have electricity so there was no television. There were no computers, either. But we had all the time in the world. We read. We drew. We wrote. At night I would put a little transistor radio under my pillow and fall asleep listening to the sounds of voices from far far away.

My family moved to Toronto when I was twelve. That’s when I started to grow up.

I have loved reading and writing my whole life but I didn’t start writing books until I became a father.

Now I am a father, homemaker and author. I live in downtown Toronto in a neighbourhood that’s full of tall trees and stories. I am married and have two children. I don’t have a car. I like to walk.

I love being an author.

I hope you like my stories.





About the Illustrator





CAREY SOOKOCHEFF is the illustrator of the critically acclaimed Buddy and Earl series, Sprout, Seed, Sprout! and What Happens Next. She is also the author/illustrator of Solutions for Cold Feet and Other Little Problems and Wet. She loves all kinds of stories, except for scary ones. She lives in Toronto with her family and their dog Rosie.



Follow Storywraps









*Blog Link:  www.babybookworms.blogspot.ca
*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
*Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  
I also have added a new button... ko-fi.com/storywraps  Simply buy me a cup of coffee if you would rather.  That would be fun.  Coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod as I'm always brewing up something here on Storywraps. 
 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps' community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together.   

Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ



No comments: