Tuesday, July 21, 2020

"I Do Not Like Yolanda" - a bookwrap










Unwrapping 





I Do Not Like Yolanda
by Zoey Abbott



* Ages:  5-8
* Grade Level:  1-3
* Length:  40 pages
* Publisher:  Tundra Books
* Pub. Date:  March 16, 2021
* Sold by:  Random House LLC
* Language:  English



Unwrapping Some Wonderful Illustrations for You
















The Book 




This is a book with a wonderful message.  It is about conquering your fears and giving people a second chance.  

Little Bianca collects stamps and loves to write letters.  She goes to the post office to buy stamps so she can mail her letters.  One of the employees of the post office, named Yolanda, scares her... right down to her toes.  Yolanda has long claw-like finger nails ( like scaly talons), a stern unsmiling face and very abrupt manor.  Bianca dreads that perhaps she will get in Yolanda's line and have to be served by her.  Poor girl. 

On one special Five Letter Day Bianca arrives at the post office and there is only one window open and guess who is standing waiting to pounce?... or so Bianca thinks. 

"I think to myself... I am NOT going to run ( even though I want to) 
I clutch my letters tight..."

Bravely she walks up to Yolanda even though she's scared to death and a wonderful thing happens.  Is Yolanda really that big bad ogre that Bianca's imagination has turned her into?  Or deep inside is she really a very nice person?  Bianca is about to find out. 

The illustrations are rich and enhance the narrative greatly.  This book would be great to share when talking about facing your fears and accepting other's differences.  It also would be great in a classroom to inspire and model letter writing, something that is becoming a lost art in our culture.  It would be fun to a write letter, address an envelope and place a stamp on it to mail to someone you know.  I highly recommend this book. 



Storywraps Rating - 5 +++ HUGS!




Meet the Author/ Illustrator






ZOEY ABBOTT is a graduate in Women's Studies and History from Smith College. She spent four years living and painting in Japan. She currently lives in Portland, Oregon, with her husband, kids and a large dog named Carrots.





Follow Storywraps







*Blog Link:  www.babybookworms.blogspot.ca
*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
*Pinterest: Storywraps

I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  
I also have added a new button... ko-fi.com/storywraps  Simply buy me a cup of coffee if you would rather.  That would be fun.  Coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod as I'm always brewing up something here on Storywraps. 
 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps' community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together.   

 

Read on.....Read always!
It's a wrap! 


πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

No comments: