Friday, January 22, 2021

"Please Don't Hug Me" - a bookwrap

 

Unwrapping








Please Don't Give Me a Hug!


by Judi Moreillon

Estelle Corke (Illustrator)




                   Specs


* Ages:  3+

* Grade Level:  PS+

* Publisher:  Star Bright Books

* Pub. Date: April 1, 2021

* Language:  English



Unwrapping Some Illustrations for You














The Book



Some children are not comfortable or happy when someone wraps a BIG bear hug around them and they wish to decline that good-intentioned behaviour. This informative book explains that there are many other ways to exhibit friendliness, love and caring to them.  


The author suggests perhaps a wink, a wave, a wide smile, a fist bump or a high five,  just to name a few, are wonderful substitutes for an unwilling scary hug.  These alternatives can provide confidence in  children who don't want their personal space invaded especially those  on the autism spectrum or with touch sensitivity.  


This simple short book has beautiful illustrations that enrich its message in a powerful way.  It shines a light on respecting each other's boundaries and of learning the importance of getting consent before a hug is administered.  The book depicts a diversity of people of different genders, ages, abilities and colour which I particularly love.  "Please Don't Hug Me" will open up an honest and meaningful conversation about appropriate touching.  I highly recommend it.   



Storywraps Rating - 5 HUGS! 






Meet the Author





Judi Moreillon began her career teaching fifth grade in a school that did not have a professional school librarian. This inspired her to earn a master's degree in library science. She has served as a teacher–librarian in high school and elementary school libraries, coteaching in every content area at all grade levels. She also served as a literacy coach at the elementary level. Judi earned a doctorate in language, reading, and culture with a focus on media and literacy at the University of Arizona. She is a member of the International Reading Association. 


In her current role as a literacies and libraries consultant, Judi facilitates professional development for educators. She believes that classroom–library collaboration is key to providing students with learning experiences that incorporate 21st-century skills.



About the Illustrator





I have illustrated since leaving college. To begin with I mainly worked for advertising, magazine publishing and packaging, in many subject areas and this gave me great grounding and experience. In recent years I've concentrated my efforts on my first love, children's publishing.

I work for publishers all over the world, large and small. I mostly illustrate in my richly coloured gouache style, but I also offer styles in watercolour and pen and ink. I love drawing children and animals, and I especially enjoy stories with some gentle humour and quirkiness.



Follow Storywraps








*Blog Link:  www.babybookworms.blogspot.ca

*Instagram: Storywraps

*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com

*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps

*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1

*Pinterest: Storywraps



I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  


I also have added a new button... ko-fi.com/storywraps  Simply buy me a cup of coffee if you would rather.  That would be fun.  Coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod as I'm always brewing up something here on Storywraps. 

 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps' community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together.   



Read on.....Read always!

It's a wrap! 


💜💜💜


No comments: