Friday, July 1, 2011
Happy Canada Day!
Have a great holiday. If you can check out one of Canada's greatest singer/songwriters/storytellers and www. michael mitchell. com
He came to my son's school some time back and just wowed the kids and teachers with his knowledge and songs about our great country. He got me up dancing with him much to my embarrassment and the kids enjoyment. He truly is one of Canada's icons and treasures. Following is Michael Mitchell's bio....
• Is renowned as one of the most ‘in demand’ school performers in Canada today.
• Performs about 250 Canada Is For Kids shows annually in schools and community concerts throughout Canada.
• Tours nearly 200 days each year.
• Has given more than 4,500 Canada Is For Kids performances.
• Has six CDs:
- Canada Is For Kids – Volume 1
- Canada Is For Kids – Volume 2
- Canada Is For Kids – Volume 3
- Lest We Forget
- Canada Is...
- Pub Night
Plus three instrumental versions of the Canada Is For Kids music series.
• Received an Our Choice award from the Canadian Children’s Book Centre for his Big Canadian Music Book.
• His composition Little Trees was selected by UNESCO to be a feature song in the Billion Tree Campaign which is part of the United Nations Environment Programme.
• Has been nominated for both a West Coast Music Award, and an Independent Music Award.
• Has donated more than $250,000 to schools across Canada through his Cash for Schools program.
• Performed the soundtrack for the PBS historical special Buried in Ice -- The Franklin Expedition.
• Is a former songwriter and recording artist for Sesame Street and co-host of the CTV children’s program Storytime.
• Spent 24 years as an infantry officer with the famous Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada and has also been a military intelligence officer and paratrooper.
• Authored a definitive military history book entitled Ducimus -- The Regiments of the Canadian Infantry.
• Major Michael Mitchell was recognized by the Governor-General of Canada for outstanding military achievement as an officer of the Canadian Forces when he was invested as an Officer of the Order Military Merit in May 1993. This is one of the highest honours a soldier can receive.
“In the ‘why didn’t I think of that’ department, Michael Mitchell has recorded Canadian folk songs, with more of his own about Canada. The results are recordings that one might argue should be owned by every school child in the country.” -- Today’s Parent Magazine
Get his CD's and crank it up. You won't be able to stop dancing. Read on Canada! (and all the rest of the world!)