What is a classic children's/adult book? It is a book whose qualities are: unforgettable characters, top-notch writing, outstanding artwork, over-the-moon silliness too. A book can be considered a classic by its staying power in the marketplace and its ability to remain popular with young readers generations after generations. I am going to break down the classic books by age catagories.
Baby and Toddler: Ages 1 -3
These books are perfect for a first library. Some are soft cloth, some are heavy-duty board books that can withstand drooling and chewing upon. They usually are the perfect size for little hands to turn pages and manipulate. They often have eye-popping, large, colourful artwork and sometimes are pop-ups or lift the flaps to engage your child further with the story.
1. Goodnight Moon - Margaret Wise Brown
2. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do YOu See? - Bill Martin Jr.
3. The Baby's Catalogue - Janet and Allan Ahlberg
4. The Snow Day - Ezra Jack Keats
5. Big Red Barn - Margaret Wise Brown
6. Pat the Bunny - Dorothy Kunhardt
8 Dr. Seuss' ABC - Dr Seuss
9. Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever - Richard Scarry
10. Hop on Pop - Dr. Seuss
11. The Touch Me Book - Pat and Eve Witte
12 I am A Bunny - Ole Rison
13. The Very Quiet Cricket - Eric Carle
14. Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks, Things That Go - Richard Scarry
15. The Real Mother Goose - Blanche Fisher Wright
16. Where's Spot - Eric Hill
17. Leo The Late Bloomer - Robert Kraus
18. Ten, Nine, Eight - Molly Bang
19. Sheep in a Jeep - Nancy Shaw
20. I want to be an Astronaut - Bryon Barton
21. Dear Zoo - Rod Campbell
22. Man's Breakfast - Rosemary Wells
23. Clifford, The Big Red Dog - Norman Bridwell
24. The Baby's Bedtime Book - Kay Chorao
25. Red, BLue, Yellow Shoe - Tana Hoban
26 Peek-A-Boo - Janet and Allan Ahlberg
27. Moo, Baa, La La La - Sandra Boynton
28. The Runnaway Bunny - Margaret Wise Brown
29. Go, Dog, Go - P.D. Eastman
Start collecting now and reading voraciously to your child. Read on and on and on. These are the cream of the crop storybooks for that age group.