Friday, November 25, 2011

My all time favourite kid's classic

The number one classic book for me is "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams, written in 1922. I have numerous copies of the book plus the audio version. I secretly told my kids they were for them but really they were for me. I actually had a special friend who wrote a song based on the book. He came into my classroom and taught his song to everyone which made the book even more special for both me and them. Here is a short review of my all-time favourite:

This is a sentimental tale of the transformation power of true love. It is the original toy story. This little bunny was placed in the nursery shortly after Christmas anticipating the day that the Boy would notice him. The Velveteen Rabbit hangs out with the Skin Horse, who reveals how a toy can actually become real. This gives the little rabbit hope that maybe one day he will be loved long and hard enough to be transformed into a real, live rabbit. The book has all the elements of a great classic. Strong characters, amazing plot, agonizing anticipation plus a very happy ending. The book gives the reader hope and the knowledge that dreams can come true. You will be touched and teary-eyed as the Fairy turns him into a real bunny. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.
What is your favourite classic? Be sure to share it with you child today. Read on.

No comments: