Saturday, September 21, 2013

Saturday Sentiments!



Hi everyone!   Thought it would be fun this morning to grab a coffee (or a tea) and kick back and enjoy some fun poems about reading books.  Poetry always gets me in a good mood and because it is the weekend a good mood is just what is called for.   Hope your week went well and you have this little pause in your life ( your weekend) before another busy week swallows you up.  Sip and enjoy!


I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
Dr. Seuss

I can read in red. I can read in blue.
I can read in pickle color too.
I can read in bed, and in purple. and in brown.
I can read in a circle and upside down!
I can read with my left eye. I can read with my right.
I can read Mississippi with my eyes shut tight!

There are so many things you can learn about.
But…you'll miss the best things 
If you keep your eyes shut.
The more that you read, the more things you will know
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. 

If you read with your eyes shut you're likely to find
That the place where you're going is far, far behind
SO…that's why I tell you to keep your eyes wide.
Keep them wide open…at least on one side.

Words
-Grandpa Tucker

There are some words so hard to read.
Some confuse like bead and seed.
Do you know of go and dough?
There's sew and sow, then there's so!

Sometimes a word is hard to spell.
But it's important for show and tell.
So work real hard to spell and read 'em.
'Cause all your life you'll really need 'em.

A mother's love, a sunny day,
A frisky puppy hard at play.
Words can chase the clouds away.
Without our words, what would we say? 

-----------------------------------------

Hello Book!
by N.M. Bodecker

Hello book!
What are you up to?
Keeping yourself to yourself,
shut in between your covers,
a prisoner high on a shelf.
come in book!
What is your story?
Haven't you ever been read?
Did you think
I would just pass by you
And pick me a comic instead?
No way book!
I'm your reader
I open you up.
Set you free.
Listen, I know a secret!
Will you share your secrets with me?

-----------------------------------------

Pass The Poems, Please
by Jane Baskwill

Pass the poems please
Pile them on my plate
Put them right in front of me
For I can hardly wait
To take each tangy word
To try each tasty rhyme
And when I've tried them once or twice
I'll try them one more time:
So pass the poems please
They just won't leave my head
I have to have more poems
Before I go to bed.

-----------------------------------------

Read
by Ann Turner

Do you remember
learning to read?
That book full of squiggles 
like ants, escaped.
the teacher's big thumb
on the page,
your heart beating inside
afraid that all you'd ever see
was ants---
Then a word popped out.
"See," and another, "cat,"
and my finger on teacher's
we read "I see cat."
I ran around the room
so happy I saw words
instead of ants.





Read on and read always and remember to always share!   Have a great weekend and see you back here Monday!  

No comments: