Saturday, May 24, 2014

Shel Silverstein - poet extraordinaire



Quotes from Shel Silverstein

*   "So I'm of love that could make it today."

* "If the track is tough and the hill is rough, THINKING you can just ain't enough."

* "And all the colours I am inside have not been invented yet."

* "He wasted his wishes on wishing."

* It's amazing the difference
  A big of sky can make."


Here are some poems to make you happy from this great guy:





“I will not play at tug o' war.


I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.” 






“I'm making a list
I'm making a list of things I must say
For politeness,
And goodness and kindness and gentleness
Sweetness and rightness:
Hello
Pardon me
How are you?
Excuse me
Bless you
May I?
Thank you
Goodbye
If you know some that I've forgot,
Please stick them in you eye!” 
― Shel SilversteinWhere the Sidewalk Ends


“If you were only one inch tall, you'd ride a worm to school.
The teardrop of a crying ant would be your swimming pool.
A crumb of cake would be a feast
And last you seven days at least,
A flea would be a frightening beast
If you were one inch tall.

If you were only one inch tall, you'd walk beneath the door,
And it would take about a month to get down to the store.
A bit of fluff would be your bed,
You'd swing upon a spider's thread,
And wear a thimble on your head
If you were one inch tall.

You'd surf across the kitchen sink upon a stick of gum.
You couldn't hug your mama, you'd just have to hug her thumb.
You'd run from people's feet in fright,
To move a pen would take all night,
(This poem took fourteen years to write--
'Cause I'm just one inch tall).” 
― Shel SilversteinWhere the Sidewalk Ends

About this poet:



  1. Sheldon Allan "Shel" Silverstein, was an American poet, singer-songwriter, cartoonist, screenwriter, and author of children's books. He styled himself as Uncle Shelby in some works. Wikipedia
  2. BornSeptember 25, 1930, Chicago, Illinois, United States


Read on and read always!  Have a wonderful day everyone.

No comments: