Thursday, January 24, 2019

"Riley the Retriever Wants a New Job" - a bookwrap













Hi!  I'm Riley and I am looking for a brand new job.  I know I can do more than just bring my humans their slippers and newspaper in the morning.  I want to find something more meaningful to do with my life.   Want to help me in my search?  









Unwrapping





"Riley the Retriever Wants a New Job" 
by Jill Mangel Weisfeld & Deborah Mangel


* Ages: 3-8
* Grades: PS-3
* Hardcover: 32 pages
* Publisher: Peek-a-Bear Press first edition
* Pub. Date: Sept. 5, 2018
* Language: English




Unwrapping some awesome illustrations for you to enjoy
















Unwrapping the book




You fall in love immediately with Riley.  She is a retriever and lives in a house with five humans, two tabby cats whom, she loves very much, and humans that adore her.  Each day she retrieves the human's slippers and brings them their newspaper but she longs for something more meaningful to do with her life. 

Being a savvy techie she takes to Doogle to research jobs that might be a perfect fit.  She views a sled dog, a guard dog, a show dog, a guide dog, and a firehouse dog.  She discovers the requirements for each job and decides that none of these awesome jobs would suit her personality.  Oh my!  Does she give up and resign herself to just being a plain housedog?  Not Riley!  She preservers and finally bingo... Riley hits the jackpot!  She is so excited when she finds her destiny.   Can you guess what she is created to be?  

The artwork is simply wonderful.  It is a perfect marriage to the text making the story almost animated.  The book is interesting, educational and fun.  Young ( and older ) readers will discover the many jobs that dogs actually have and will be anxious to turn the next page to find out what job Riley decides to pursue.  

The book is based upon a 'real life' Riley who actually is a therapy dog.  It is a sweet and charming book authored by Jill Mangel Wesifeld and her beloved mother Deborah who sadly passed away. I was so sorry to hear such a talented and lovely lady is gone from us.  The book world will surely miss her.  I highly recommend this book.  Everything about the book shouts... winner!  



Storywraps Rating - 5 +++ HUGS!!!!!






Meet the author





Jill Mangel Weisfeld is an award-winning children's book author and founder and CEO of her own publishing company, Peek-a-Bear Press. Jill is currently the Art Director of the Pediatric Cancer Foundation and has done freelance graphic design for various non-profit organizations. She is formerly Senior Art Director at Bride's Magazine and Art Director for Macy's Advertising in New York. Jill's book Take a Peek with Peek-a-Bear is the winner of 5 awards, including a Gold Medal in the Mom's Choice Awards, a gold medal in the Purple Dragonfly Awards and a silver medal in the Moonbeam Children's Book Awards. Jill has just released her second book Riley the Retriever Wants a New Job. Jill has been an avid reader her whole life. Some of her favorite childhood books were Go Dog Go and Charlotte's Web. Jill has instilled the love of reading to her children and even to her dog, Riley. Jill takes Riley, a therapy dog, to the local library where children read to her. Jill lives in Westchester County, New York with her husband, three daughters, one golden retriever and two tabby cats.







About the illustrator






It's a pleasure to share with you my illustrations, some of which are from books, and others from personal work. Currently I'm illustrating and writing children's books—a dream come true! Previously, I've worked in the graphic design field working with wonderful clients in the technology, medical, toy, and publishing industries. For more of my design & lettering work, please visit, GabbyandCo.com.
I'm a proud member of the Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI), Picture Book Artists Association, Pacific Scribes, and Friends of Calligraphy. I paint traditionally in watercolors and gouache, as well as mixed media pieces.
Nature (clouds, flocks of geese!), my awesome family, dear friends, travel, and food all inspire me endlessly, as well as fond memories of my childhood growing up in the Bay Area.





Follow Storywraps








*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  I thank you in advance for your support.  I love what I do and appreciate any amount that you may give so I can make our community even better.  Thanks a million! 


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

No comments: