Tuesday, March 26, 2019

"The Windy Day" - a bookwrap









Unwrapping 







"The Windy Day"
Author and Illustrator - Tony Sandoral


* Age range:  4 - 8
* Grade Level:  1-2
* Hardcover:  32 pages
* Publisher:  Lion Forge
* Pub. Date:  May 14, 2019
* Language:  English



Unwrapping some illustrations for you






















Unwrapping the story



A young girl asks her brother to come fly a kite with her on a lovely windy day.  The brother declines and she sets off by herself.  She is heading for a clearing in the woods and her fears mount as her imagination takes over and she envisions monstrous eyes peering out at her through the trees.  A group of evil goblins descend upon her from their pirate cloud armed with hooks and harpoons and try to grab her kite by the wing and capture it.  She becomes truly frightened as they surround her and close in.  Oh my!  

A huge black wolf-dog has been watching all this transpire and slowly emerges from the undergrowth.   

"It was a big animal, half-dog and half-wolf.  It was so big that I felt like I was standing under a black, hairy tree.  The wicked goblins were terrified and ran away as fast as they could! " 

The wolf-dog calls to the little girl and asks her if she would like to play with him.  She is very relieved to be rescued and safe and  quickly agrees.  She climbs up on his back and they run like the wind making her kite soar very very high and very very far! 

He safely deposits her at her home and they become fast friends.  He makes her fears disappear with his powerful presence and steadfast friendship.  She nicknames him " Courage" a fitting name for her protector and bestie.  

This adventure story is a bit disjointed as the pacing is off with some of the text and the illustrations not in sync.  I felt that some of the pictures are too dark and scary for that age group and if the book is read, not to be read as a bedtime story.  Although, I must say, as an adult, I like them a lot. They are similar toTim Burton's creations which I love.  All-in-all the message is positive as it's always a great thing to overcome fears and face the world head-on with bravery and courage.  I like the story but question the age group that it targets.... perhaps it will be more fitting for an older age group.  ( say 8-10 ? ) 



Storywraps Rating - 4 HUGS!!!!







Meet the creator of the book









Tony Sandoval is a Mexican illustrator and author with a passion for strange stories. Born in 1973 in the desert of Northwest Mexico, Tony grew up with a love for art and music. Tony’s first US book, Doomboy, was nominated for a 2015 Eisner Award for Best Publication for Teens, and was selected by several best of lists that year. He followed that success in 2016 with Eisner Award nominations for Best Multimedia Artist, as well as Glance Backward, which he illustrated.







Follow Storywraps










*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  

I also have added a new button... "Ko-Fi".  You can buy me a coffee if you like my review and feel more like hanging out together.  It's new, fun, and yes my dear friends, coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod.  There's always something brewing here on my blog. 

 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together. 


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
💜💜💜


No comments: