Wednesday, February 26, 2020

"Cannonball" - a bookwrap





What is a Cannonball?


To do a cannonball, just jump out from a diving board (or even the side of a pool) as high as possible. While you're in the air, bring your knees as close as you can to your chest. Grab and hold onto your knees with both arms, like you're hugging them. Tuck your chin and plunge into the water like a cannonball




Unwrapping 





Cannonball

Authored by Sacha Cotter
Illustrated by Josh Morgan


* Ages:  4-8
* Grade Level:  PS-3
* Hardcover:  40 pages
* Publisher:  Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
* Pub. Date:  June 1, 2020
* Language:  English



Unwrapping Some Great Illustrations for You























The Book



This inspiring book encourages kids to think for themselves,  follow their gut-reactions and do things their own way.  It administers a perfect life lesson for both the young and the old. 

A young boy dreams of doing the perfect cannonball and wants to show everyone his prowess. He only has one problem, he's terrified to jump off the diving board.  

Everyone gives him advice on how to make that flawless leap.  

"You need more weight!"
"Bigger shorts!"
"More muscles!"
BIGGER SHORTS!" 

The boy tries all the gimmicks suggested to him but in doing so discovers it only makes him more uncertain and frightened of not being able to succeed with his idealist task.

He receives coaching from his beloved Nan. 
"Listen to your heart, to your mind,
to the pull that's inside.  Do it your way."
"My way?"
"Yes baby, all the way!" 

Can he muster up the courage inside of him and listen to what his inner voice is dictating to him to make that perfect cannonball splash? 

The rhyming text is greatly enriched by emotional, colourful illustrations.  They are very well executed and action-packed.  The book encourages kids to be themselves, to be brave,  to find their confidence and then...... go for it.  I highly recommend this book. 




Storywraps Rating - 5 +++ HUGS! 







Meet the Author





Kawerau born Sacha, is an award-winning children´s writer based in Wellington, New Zealand.
She is the author of picture books Keys/Ngā Kī, The Marble Maker/Te Kaihanga Māpere, and the 2019 Margaret Mahy Book of the Year, The Bomb/Te Pohū - all published by HUIA and illustrated by her partner in both books and life, Josh Morgan.
Sacha is also involved in writing for children’s television. She has written for both The Kiddets and The Book Hungry Bears, two animated shows produced by Pukeko Pictures.
Before publishing her first book Keys, Sacha gained an arts degree and a teaching diploma. She worked in a variety of jobs and lived abroad for several years.  




About the Illustrator







I am a freelance illustrator living in Wellington, NZ with my partner, the author Sacha Cotter. Together we form the storytelling / song writing / award winning picture book making team Cotter & Morgan

I was born and raised in the mighty Manawatu, and I am of Te Aitanga-a-Mahaki and Rongowhakaata descent.

My illustration work is largely created digitally by making collages of found textures, which I draw over using digital pencils, pens and brushes. I take a great deal of inspiration from the nostalgic feeling I get when reading the picture books I loved as a child, and the warmth, charm and magic of those classic books is what try to capture and emulate in digital illustration. 





Follow Storywraps








*Instagram: Storywraps
Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
*Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  

I also have added a new button... ko-fi.com/storywraps  Simply buy me a cup of coffee if you would rather.  That would be fun.  Coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod as I'm always brewing up something here on Storywraps.  
 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps' community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together.   


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ


No comments: