Thursday, March 12, 2020

"Ella the Swinging Duck" - a bookwrap









Unwrapping 





Ella the Swinging Duck

Authored by Susan Overmeer
Illustrated by Myriam Bernenschot


* Ages:  4+
* Grade Level:  PS - 2
* Hardcover:  32 pages
* Publisher:  Clavis
* Pub. Date:  April 28 2020
* Language:  English



Editorial Review


"A high-stepping tribute to friendships, musical and otherwise." - Kirkus Reviews




In the Author's Own Words



In 2006, I started my own company: Jazz4kids. I develop educational jazz projects for children and wrote a method called “Jazz in the classroom”. I go to schools to give workshops on improvisations and write jazz concerts for children. I’ve always wanted to make a production for young children, ages 3-6, preferably starting from a story. I came up with Ella, a Swinging Fairy Tale, loosely based on the tale of the ugly duckling. It became a completely new story about the jazzy duckling Ella that was different from her classic family. Ella left home to look for someone she could sing and swing with. That’s how she turned the fact that she was “different” into a huge talent.

The story and the songs really resonated with the young audience. Children fell in love with Ella and everyone sympathized with the special and brave duckling. Slowly the idea arose that it might be interesting to turn this story into a book. I already published a picture book at Clavis, so I first suggested the idea to them and I’m really grateful Clavis immediately liked the story. 

It was a challenge to rewrite my concert into a story, but I did it and I’m really proud of the result. Myriam Berenschot made beautiful illustrations and that’s how a new Ella was born: Ella the Swinging Duck.






Unwrapping Some Wonderful Illustrations for You to Enjoy 




























The Book



This heartwarming book has Dutch/Belgian roots.  Little Ella is born to aristocratic parents, Mildred and Maury.  Their nest is impeccable. They eat duck weed with a knife and fork and clean their bills with napkins.  Everything in their world is decent and in order until little Ella is born.  Her siblings emerge and fit right into their parent's lifestyle but Ella is different.  She marches to her own drumbeat.  She is a non-conformist who sings incessantly.  She waddles along singing  her own silly songs... unplugged. 

Her brothers and sisters tease and mock her leaving Ella feeling sad and lonely.  She desperately wants to be with someone who will  sing and swing with her. One day she sets out on a journey alone to do just that. 

Ella is rejected by a dove who only does solos and a frog choir who doesn't want any more members.  Oh dear.  Ella is ready to give up when out of the reeds comes her ""song-spirit".   A young swan steps forward and makes her aquaintance.  His name is Dizzy. 

"Everybody teases  me because I like to blast my bill." "I like your blast!" responds Ella, and instantly a new musical duo and friendship is reality.  Together they shake up the woodland critters (her family included)  and have them all shaking their booties to their fabulous tunes. 



The illustrations are such fun and kids will love them.   The book is a celebration of music and being you.  The names of the characters throughout the story are a tribute to past great music makers.  I highly recommend this book. 





Storywraps Rating - 5 +++ HUGS!!!!!








Meet the Author





Suzan Overmeer (1973) has worked in and around the field of music education for children since 2008. Suzan works at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague, from her company Jazz4kids devises jazz projects for children and writes music lessons and songs. Suzan released her first children's book in 2015: Roze Ikke (Clavisbooks). In November 2018, her second picture book will be published by the same publisher: Ella, the swinging duckling.

Suzan studied musicology in Utrecht. She is the coordinator of the Music in Education program (full-time, abridged and she enrolled) at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague and teaches methodology to the fourth year students of the Music in Education program. Suzan also supervises master students in their research. Before that, Suzan worked for several years as a music consultant for the Koorenhuis, center for art and culture in The Hague.






The Illustrator








Dutch illustrator, based in Groningen, of childrensbooks and educational publications.
More info:
www.myriamberenschot.nl/?lightbox=dataItem-k6s4ngky














Follow Storywraps








*Blog Link:  www.babybookworms.blogspot.ca
*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
*Pinterest: Storywraps




I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  
I also have added a new button... ko-fi.com/storywraps  Simply buy me a cup of coffee if you would rather.  That would be fun.  Coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod as I'm always brewing up something here on Storywraps. 
 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps' community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together.   

Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ




No comments: