Tuesday, July 28, 2020

"My Pencil and Me" - a bookwrap










Unwrapping 






My Pencil and Me 

by Sara Varon 


* Ages:  3-6
* Hardcover:  48 pages
Publisher:  First Second
* Pub. Date:  September 29, 2020
* Language:  English





Unwrapping Some Illustrations for You to Enjoy
















The Book 




 Deep inside Sara is a budding artist and author.  She adores telling stories and delights in creating drawings. But... deep inside of Sara resides a niggly, negative old doubt telling her that perhaps her ideas aren't good enough and just maybe her illustrations might be a flop.  Oh my!  

Her faithful dog companion reminds her that anytime she is stuck and can't get her story started her magic pencil is always there to bail her out.  

"My pencil always gives me great advice!" 

Her pencil mentors her through the story making process prompting her to unleash her imagination and to believe in herself.  Sara learns to relax, gather and sort her ideas but mostly to have fun while doing so.  

The illustrations are very well done and kid-friendly.  The story presents lots of dialogue, action and playfulness.  Kids will be encouraged to write their own stories as they learn all about the birth of a book.  I would recommend "My Pencil and Me"  to  elementary teachers to read during creative writing lessons.  A lovely aspect is when the real author and her dog appear at the end  and guess what she is doing?  Yes...creating the very book that the kids are experiencing right now.   It's a lovely surprise element that readers will love.  I highly recommend this book. 




Storywraps Rating - 5 +++ HUGS!






Meet the Author




Sara Varon is a printmaker, graphic novelist, and children's book author/illustrator living in Brooklyn. Her books include Odd Duck, Bake Sale, Robot Dreams, Chicken & Cat, Chicken & Cat Clean Up, Hold Hands, and My Pencil & Me. Her books have received many accolades--among others, Odd Duck was selected by Kirkus Reviews as one of the Best Children's Books of 2013, Bake Sale was named a YALSA Great Graphic Novel for 2012, and Robot Dreams was on Oprah's Kids' Reading List in 2008. In 2013 Sara Varon was a recipient of the Maurice Sendak Fellowship.


Follow Storywraps








*Blog Link:  www.babybookworms.blogspot.ca
*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
*Pinterest: Storywraps

I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  
I also have added a new button... ko-fi.com/storywraps  Simply buy me a cup of coffee if you would rather.  That would be fun.  Coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod as I'm always brewing up something here on Storywraps. 
 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps' community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together.   

 

Read on.....Read always!
It's a wrap! 

💜💜💜

No comments: