Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ontario is getting all day Kindergarten

Wow! Soon and very soon all day Kindergarten will be available to Ontario's children. It will be a huge change in scheduling for everyone involved. There will be before school care and after school care availability which means a 4/5 year old can be away from home from 7:30 until 5 or 6 o'clock. Wow! We have gone from half day programme to more than a full day. I taught school in the private sector and they had all day school. The kids were pooped and dragging around all day. They got sick more and the academic results did not measure up. Good for the working parents though. I am not sold on the concept. I myself loved having my kids home and doing life with them myself, teaching my values, reading books that both my child and I wanted, and going on family field trips that were meaningful and relevant to what I was involved with at home. I feel we happily hand over our kids and give up our parental responsibilities and control to strangers. Our kids our ours, i want to be there, involved in their education. After all, parents are the kids first and #1 teachers. I'm just saying........

No comments: