Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I remembered...

A while back I mentioned something fun called a "string story." What is a sting story you may ask? Well let me tell you. You take a large piece of bristol board and a marker or pen and mount it in a communal spot so people can get at it. You also can use a sheet of paper and a pen on a table or desk but it is not half as much fun. You then compose a clever, witty, interesting first sentence to a story and then get out of the way. Throughout the day people in your family or guests that visit you will simply add another sentence to the story. It truly is a fun exercise. What you started out to say can be completely twisted by the time the story ends. At the end of the day you sit down with your child and read the end product. It is not hard and you get to see people's own creative input. String stories are a blast and are meant to ignite imagination, vocabulary explosions and sometimes just downright silliness. Start one today and see what you can come up with in your family. Send me a copy of your endeavors and I would love to post some for others to enjoy. Read on.

4 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I accidentally started something like this once when I was at uni and living in a student hostel. While typing up an assignment on one of the public computers, I got a little bored and started writing a story. I didn't finish it, but saved the document on the desktop so I could get to it later.

Well, I forgot all about it for several weeks; and when I got back to the computer and opened the file again, I saw someone had added to it! =D

I never learned who that person was, but that's part of the fun, right? ;-)

Storywraps said...

It truly is fun. The more input from strangers the better. String stories take on a whole life of their own.

Unknown said...

Super idea ! Thanks 1
Will try it with one of my older "tutees"...let you know how it goes...photo?

Storywraps said...

It is a no pressure composition. Fun to let "tuttee" take it home and work it with the fam. Could you explain ... photo?