Thursday, June 2, 2011

I loved this quote....

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends, they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. - Charles W. Eliot

That is certainly the truth in my experience. There is a calm that comes upon someone when they are reading a good book. When I was in the classroom and my little guys/girls were all buzzing from an art class or some other up-beat subject I would totally change the atmosphere in the room by calling them all together at my feet and reading them a book. There is something magical that happens when you stop, pause and begin to read. You become focused, your heart rate decreases and even your blood pressure goes down when you read...it is a proven medical fact. The next time your kids are overstimulated (that is a polite way of saying they are driving you crazy), stop the action, find a good book, and curl up and read to them. Not only is it beneficial to your child's health but yours as well. Books can be your best friend as the quote suggests. Model and share this piece of wisdom today with your child. Relax yourself and read on.

No comments: