Remembrance Day activities to do with your kids:
1. Rent an age appropriate movie with a "war theme" and watch it together. "Saving Private Ryan" for older viewing audiences is excellent viewing.
2. Attend a Veteran's Day memorial service if you can together and watch the bands/wreath placing etc.
3. Practise the two minutes of silence around your kitchen table after talking about the contributions of the soldiers in the wars
4. Visit a war museum if there is one around your area...there is one in Ottawa
5. Plan to attend the Remembrance Day assembly at your local school if you can
6. Find a cemetery where soldiers are buried and discuss the dates/monuments etc. with your child
7. The internet is full of colouring pages, crafts to make, flags to colour. Print some off for your kids to use. dltk.com-holidays.com/remembrance/inndex.html is excellent
8. Print the words out from the poem. "In Flanders Fields" and read it together around your kitchen table as a family. Discuss its meaning.
9. Make sure each member of your family has and wears a poppy to signify knowledge and respect for the veterans and this special day to remember.
There are tons of articles/ clips/ stories/ poems available for you to read and enjoy with your emily.