Friday, March 28, 2014

Three Ring Rascals are at it again...


I am going to do something a little different for the next little while here on my blog. l  am going to give you the first line of a children's book to see if you can figure out which book I drew it from.  I will give you the answer the following day.  It will be fun.  Let's go....good luck!

"Five little puppies dug a hole under the fence and went for a walk in the wide, wide world."





Title:  The Greatest Star on Earth
Author:  Kate Klise
Illustrator: M. Sarah Klise
Ages:  7-10
Grades: 2-5









What the author is saying about the book:





This book asks a simple question: Is there anything more important in life than winning a trophy? I remember as a kid craving a trophy more than anything else on earth. A trophy seemed to symbolize everything I wanted: achievement, success, respect from others. So in this story, I wanted to explore that yearning we all sometimes feel to be best, along with the competitions we participate in to determine who’s a “winner” and who’s not. The truth, of course, is that we’re all talented and successful in different ways.
In writing this book, it was helpful for me to recall my old days as a figure skater. In one competition, I won first place. Later the same day, I skated in a different division and came in dead last. I remember thinking, Wow. I’m a winner and a loser. Not a bad lesson to learn early in life. That’s why I chose this Serbian proverb for the epigraph of this book: Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.
So is there anything more important in life than winning a trophy? I think there is. At the risk of spoiling the ending, I’ll just say that I hope The Greatest Star on Earth celebrates the power of teamwork and the pride that comes from helping a friend in need. I also hope young readers will discover through the characters of Bert and Gert that you’re never too small to save the day.
—Kate Klise

What I am saying about the book: 

This is book number two in the series and it's always fun to pick up a book when you are familiar with the characters and you know a bit about the flavour set before you between the covers.  The book is packed full of fun, creative wordplay, wit and the illustrations bring the text to life.  The message is positive and upbeat and should be discussed and taken to heart by everyone reading the book.  Sir Sidney's Circus is the best there is but the Circus Times is having a contest to see who will be the star of the show.  This causes rivalry amongst the performers and a big worrywart to appear on Sir Sidney's, nose of all places.  His doctor orders him to his Peanut Farm for total rest and relaxation.  He once again puts the novice ring-master, Barnabas Brambles in charge while he takes a well-deserved time out to recuperate and shrink that wart.   You might be surprised at the outcome and who finally receives the trophy.  Through co-operation and care for each other the performers find out the true meaning of being the greatest star on earth.

The Greatest Star on Earth is a warm story overflowing with humour, heart, gentle character education, and some clever arithmetic and vocabulary.  Your child will love it I am sure and be asking when the next book in the series will be available. 

About the illustrator:




M. Sarah Klise is the illustrator of Three-Ring Rascals #1: The Show Must Go On! and Three-Ring Rascals #2: The Greatest Star On Earth, as well as numerous other middle-grade and picture books written by her sister, Kate Klise. Their recent series, 43 Old Cemetery Road, has been nominated for reading awards in nearly twenty states and is a Junior Library Guild selection. 

No comments: