Friday, March 29, 2019

It's a Funny Old World" - a bookwrap











Unwrapping






It's a Funny Old World: twenty poems for teenage readers


by Nigel Tetley


* Ages:  11-16
* Paperback: 48 pages
* Poems:  20
* Publisher:  The Choir Press
* Pub. Date:  March 29, 2019
* Language:  English



Unwrapping the book


A seasonal nibble....


A Sense of Direction


In the process of seed germination,
There is knowledge of orientation,
For up go all shoots,
And down go all roots,
Like an in-built, bipolar relation. 

But no seed has a head or a toe,
So how could they possibly know,
Sitting deep underground,
With a shape small and round,
Where up is as opposed to below?  


I first became acquainted with Nigel's work when I reviewed " When Bees Flew in for Breakfast" and I quickly became a fan.  I am happy to say "It's a Funny Old World - twenty poems for teenage readers" is a sequel.  It is a shorter book than Bees, but the style and feel of the selections are very similar. The book is targeted for ages 11-16.  

In a teen's world of video games, action movies, social media, and digital overload it is lovely to offer them an alternative..."It's a Funny Old World" is written primarily for an age group who think that reading has got nothing to do with entertainment.  

 Nigel's own words sum it up perfectly... 

"It is short enough not to be threatening, but varied and accessible enough to engage the most reluctant of readers.  An ideal introduction to reading for pleasure." 

"In my job as a teacher, I am continually confronted with the fact that most young people have a purely functional understanding of reading; that the one and only purpose of reading is to gain necessary information. The idea that one can approach a text in exactly the same way that one can instinctively approach, say, a piece of music, for example, is alien to most young people, in my experience. This book is a small attempt to change that mindset."

Eloquently stated and I whole heartedly agree with the author's reasoning. 

Here is a list of Nigel's pervious books for you to check out. I highly recommend "It's a Funny Old World" and all the others as well.  Fabulous!  



💜 Number Shapes
💜 The Grumpy Crocodile
💜 Two Fat Cows
💜 ORDER! ORDER!
💜 When Bees Flew in for Breakfast
💜 Time to Rhyme
💜 It's a Funny Old World




Storywraps Rating:  5 +++ HUGS!!!!!




+++



Meet the author







Since qualifying as a Religious Studies teacher in 1989, Nigel Tetley has worked in a variety of schools, spanning middle and secondary age groups in both the State and Independent sectors. At the beginning of his teaching career he also spent a year in Greece teaching English. In 2001, he started writing children's poetry at the suggestion of a colleague. His website contains full details of all of his writing projects.









Follow Storywraps








*Instagram: Storywraps
*Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  

I also have added a new button... "Ko-Fi".  You can buy me a coffee if you like my review and feel more like hanging out together.  It's new, fun, and yes my dear friends, coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod.  There's always something brewing here on my blog. 

 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together. 


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 
💜💜💜

No comments: