Thursday, June 6, 2019

"I Campaigned for Ice Cream" - a book wrap











Please meet Josh Lipshaw.  He looks puzzled and is trying to figure out how come when he is at his friend Jeremey's tee-ball games the ice cream truck comes but one never comes into his neighbourhood.  Mmmmm!  Why? 




Unwrapping





I Campaigned for Ice Cream: A Boy's Quest for Ice Cream Trucks

Authored by Suzanne Jacobs Lipshaw
Illustrated by Wendy Leach


* Age Range:  5-9
* Grade Level:  K-3
* Hardcover:  34 pages
* Publisher:  Warren Publishing, Inc
* Pub. Date:  April 24, 2019
* Langage:  English




Unwrapping some illustrations for you














Unwrapping the Story




This true inspirational story is about Josh, a 9 year old boy, from West Bloomfield, Michigan.  He observes during the summer months that in his neighbourhood there are no ice cream trucks. That is truly unfair to the kids. They are missing out on a wonderful childhood experience.  With guidance from his mother he takes it upon himself to find out why.   

 After making an initial contact by phone he goes to his local government and cites his grievance.  They work with Josh to change an old outdated law that prohibits ice cream trucks from entering his town.  The law has been in effect since 1954.  Oh my that's terrible!   

 Josh never complains or screams but with grace and determination he goes through the judicial process that is necessary and sees very positive results.  He never shies away from the hard work of petitioning door-to-door, making a speech when called upon, being diligent to attend the scheduled meetings and always being polite and patient no matter how long things take to work through the system.  He learns first hand how his government works, yes, even for a boy who is only nine years old.  

The illustrations enrich the text and are full of emotion and heart.   The book encourages positive action and tells young readers that by following proper procedures, without complaining and screaming, great things are possible and change can become a reality.   The book is both educational and heartwarming and I am sure all the kids of West Bloomfield and their parents will forever be grateful to Josh Lipshaw for his courageous crusade to have ice cream trucks legalized and back in his neighbourhood.  Here's the scoop...  hot summers and cold ice cream are just meant to be served up together.  Don't you agree?  





Storywraps Rating - 5 HUGS!!!!!







Meet the Author






Suzanne Jacobs Lipshaw is a children’s book author and elementary school special education teacher who is passionate about GROWING YOUNG MINDS through her teaching and writing. The proud momma of two grown boys, Suzanne lives in Waterford, MI with her husband and furry writing companion.





About the Illustrator








I'm an illustrator living and working near Kansas City.  I graduated with a BFA in painting from the University of Missouri.  While I earned my degree I worked in the children's department of the local Barnes and Noble where my love for picture book illustration began.   


Artist Statement:  I enjoy the beauty of the line and hope to show my had in my work. 






Follow Storywraps










*Instagram: Storywraps
Email:  storywrapsblog@gmail.com
*Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Storywraps
*Twitter: Storywraps@Storywraps1
*Pinterest: Storywraps


I put hours of work finding the best kid's books to review for you each day.  If you enjoy visiting Storywraps and would like to donate something for my time and effort I would greatly appreciate it.

Go to the top of my blog at the right hand corner (below my photo) and please donate what you feel lead to give.  The amount you donate and the frequency you donate is totally up to you.  

I also have added a new button...ko-fi.com  You can buy me a coffee if you like my review and feel more like hanging out together.  It's new, fun, and yes my dear friends, coffee and blogging go together like two peas in a pod.  There's always something brewing here on my blog. 

 I thank you in advance for your support.  I adore what I do and would appreciate any amount that you may give so that I can make our Storywraps community more thriving and exciting.  Thanks a million!  Books bind us together. 


Read on...
Read always.
It's a wrap! 

πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

No comments: