Monday, April 27, 2015

take a peek with Peek-a-Bear .... taking a deeper look




Remember when I featured this amazing little book last week?  Well I got a guest post from the author to share with you today. It will  give you a little more insight as to how this little gem of a tale came to be.  I know you will be interested to hear from the author Jill Mangel Weisfeld and find out more about her.  Enjoy.





The Inspiration Behind Take a Peek with Peek-A-Bear

by Jill Weisfeld

 Art has always been part of my life.

My parents owned an art gallery in Philadelphia so I grew up in a creative environment surrounded by talented artists. 

As a child I had a vivid imagination and I loved to express my creativity through writing poems, drawing and painting. I was always thinking of new ideas. 
When I was around 8 years old I was painting the shed in my back yard when I got the idea to splatter paint all over it, when I told my Dad about my ingenious idea he said, he loved it but Jackson Pollock beat you to it.

I knew I wanted a career in a creative field so I decided to major in Visual Communications at The University of Delaware. It was a very competitive major where I had to make two rounds of cuts from 80-20 people to be accepted into the program.  After college I moved to New York City and I worked as a Graphic Designer at Macy’s Advertising and Bride’s Magazine. Although I enjoyed being a designer my dream was always to write children’s books. 

My mind is always spinning with ideas for books, which I write down in a notebook that is bursting with ideas just waiting to be created.

I love looking out of windows and the idea for “Take a Peek with Peek-a-Bear” came to me when I was looking at clouds shaped like animals with my daughter while flying on a plane.


I wrote this book between my fulltime job of raising three daughters, two cats and a dog and during my part time job as Art Director for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation. My three daughters, Emily, Danielle and Lulu as well as my husband Bruce have all played a part.



Here's a peek inside to give you a flavour of the illustrations...















I guarantee that your child will love to pull, lift and peek through bear's windows with him and follow the fun poetry as it weaves around the pages further enhancing the playful vibe of the book.  This book is in sturdy board book format which makes it a perfect choice for little busy hands (and mouths), and a perfect invitation for a little one to pick it up, interact with it and enjoy.




Read on and read always!

It's a wrap.

Contact me at: Storywrapsblog@gmail.com

No comments: